UPCOMING EVENTS IN 2023This page is a calendar / timetable of upcoming events organised by Feltmakers Ireland or events we feel might be of interest to feltmakers. Also included are notices of events from Region 14 (Members in Ireland), International Feltmakers Association (IFA) – email@example.com – Jane is great at keeping us up to date with events. Please email if you have events that might be included – a line or two or three with the venue, date, price, and maybe a link to longer description; a broader description of the event may be on BLOG – FOLLOW TO RECEIVE EMAILS OF UPDATED POSTINGS.
Photographing your work – Felt MattersIf you haven’t read your Felt Matters yet, check out Mandy Nash’s article (page 32) on photographing your work to submit for exhibitions.
Sharon Wells ART: Beginners feltmakers course
Sharon has two felting classes and two painting classes coming up.
Celebrating wool – the legacy of Brigid: demos, panel and exhibition spaceSaturday, 11th of March, 2023, 11 AM – 2:45 PM at Newbridge Town Hall, Co. Kildare.
WoolStock, Part of the Aontas Learning Festival, returns
Meet the Makers + Try new crafts
- Discover master weaver Séamus Kirwan as he shares his hand-weaving and wool from sheep and other animals on how it performs.
- Sharing the latest research on Wool innovations on Wool speaker panel
- Meet Farm to Yarn: sustainable, luxury blankets, 100% Irish wool, sourced from their Wicklow farm and trusted farmers nationwide. Sharing how they started their designs & handmade blankets in Ireland with Ériu, Lionel Mackey and Zoë Daly.
- Wool and Retrofitting using natural products Liam Donoghue, No/Low Energy and Carbon Consultant/Assistant Lecturer – TU Dublin / Retrofit Energy Engineer/ Director IHBA. Liam will speak about the role of Wool today as insulation and for construction uses to preserve Energy.
- Fergal Byrne – an organic farmer, will share his experience in steps to create an organic range #fleecetofashion, the wool and the pattern.
- Rachel Tuffy, Lecturer in Textile Design at the National College of Art and Design, shares wool research, 3D wool insights and demos
- Feltmaker Juliane Gorman with Practical & Fantastical Felted Hats for Grownups who want more Whimsy in their Lives.
- Textile Art by Susan Furneaux Artist, educator and a textile nerd.
- From Newfoundland to Newbridge, an Exhibition of work.
- Crafter Susan Stephens-Barimo Susan is an enthusiastic wool and fibre lover. She will share ways to create rugs from reclaimed felted wool and new and upcycled yarns. The rugs are created by the time-old art of hooking and punching.
- The Art of Making and Mending wool clothing to extend its life.
- Newbridge Knitters with Angela Lane return to share their creations.
- Learn how to Crochet and quiz crafters on their wool work and techniques.
- Latest news from Feltmakers of Ireland.
- Wool repair station with our Ukraine wool repair team as we weave our community stronger.
INTERNATIONAL FELTMAKERS AGMSaturday, 25 March 2023, 10.30am – 4.30pm A date for your diary, the AGM will be online again next year. As in the past couple of years, there will be demonstrations throughout the day, this time focussing on carding and blending.
Felt Matters Deadline – 1 April 2023The deadline for the issue of FELT MATTERS #151 is 1 April 2023. The subject is WATER. I am sure our region can find plenty of pieces that work with this theme, so please consider contributing! Contact details HERE.
APRIL 2nd SUNDAY SESSION
we hope to have a FI member deliver a short workshop
14th – 16th April 2023European Felt Days at Felletin in France. If you have any questions firstname.lastname@example.org
AGM – DATE TO BE DECIDED
Wool Spinning WeekendSaturday, the 3rd, and Sunday, the 4th of June 2023. 10am-4pm. At the North Mayo Heritage Centre, Enniscoe, Castlehill, Ballina, Co. Mayo. F26 FR94
- Meet creative wool crafters.
- Learn about Irish wool.
- Have a go at spinning on a drop spindle or spinning wheel.