Welcome to Feltmakers Ireland, the National Guild of Felt Makers. We are a voluntary craft Guild with members throughout Ireland. Feltmakers Ireland was founded in 2003 by Elizabeth Bonnar in response to the growing interest in felt-making at that time.
We try to cater to ALL types of felt-making: wet felters, needle felters, professional feltmakers, hobbyists, ANYONE with an interest in wool, fleece, felt.
Feltmakers Ireland is a member of the Design & Crafts Council Ireland.
The AGM of the organisation is held every year in May.
We hold monthly “Sunday Sessions” on the FIRST SUNDAY of the month from 10:30-12:00. At these sessions, members may demonstrate techniques, chat and talk about the principles of felt-making. Sometimes, we have sessions where everybody can participate and make something in felt.
We aim to hold at least one exhibition a year and two or more feltmaking workshops (one of which will be taught by an internationally renowned feltmaker).
- To promote and encourage the craft of felt-making.
- To share knowledge, skills and support among members.
- To offer members and the wider public access to high-standard educational opportunities through workshops, demonstrations and discussion groups.
- To provide information on materials used and equipment.
- To have a presence at local, national and international craft events.
We fulfil these aims by:
- Organising demonstrations & workshops
- Taking part in and organising exhibitions
- Meeting at regular sessions
- Producing content, linking to useful networks and collating helpful information published through our Blog and Facebook page.
We welcome everyone with an interest in felt-making and encourage you to join our guild and become involved. Subscribe to the blog for regularly featured news, and find us on Facebook.